'Personal information' is information or an opinion which identifies you as an individual or from which your identity can be reasonably ascertained.
You may be able to deal with us without identifying yourself (i.e. anonymously or by using a pseudonym) in certain circumstances, such as when completing a survey. If you would like to do so, please contact us to find out if this is practicable in your circumstances.
- Who we are;
- What personal information we may collect about you;
- How we may collect your personal information;
- How we will use the personal information we collect about you;
- When we may use your personal information to contact you;
- Whether we will disclose your personal information to anyone else;
- How you can request access to, or correction of, your personal information that we hold; and
- How you can make a privacy complaint and how we will deal with your complaint.
Who are we?
WoolQ is owned and managed by Australian Wool Innovation Limited (AWI).
AWI is a not-for-profit company that invests in research and development and marketing along the global supply chain for wool, to enhance the profitability, international competitiveness, sustainability and demand for Australia wool. AWI is the owner of The Woolmark Company and the Woolmark brand which is one of the world's best known textile fibre quality brands.
What information will AWI collect about me?
When you participate in, access or sign up to any AWI services, events, activities or online content such as newsletters or competitions we may request information from you that includes your personal information such as your name, telephone number, postal address, email address and your opinion on wool-related issues. If you complete a financial transaction with us your credit card details will be requested by a third party, not us, and you will be notified about this during the transaction process.
We may also receive personal information about you from third parties with whom we work closely with for example sub-contractors, consultants, marketing or advertising agencies. They will generally collect this information when you are participating in, accessing or signing up to an AWI service, event or activity which they are managing for us. The information that they will provide us will generally be the same as what we would collect from you as set out above.
By providing your personal information you enable AWI (and where applicable its contractors) to provide you with the services, information and content. You do not have to provide your personal information to us but, if you do not provide the information requested, we may not be able to provide you with the services, information or content you have requested.
How will AWI collect my information?
We generally collect personal information from you if you choose to provide your details through our various global channels which we own, operate, manage or control including but not necessarily limited to websites, social media sites, apps and e-commerce platforms (Channels).We may also collect personal information from you in person (for example when you attend our trade shows, seminars, events or otherwise liaise with our employees).
We also automatically collect certain information when you visit our websites via cookies (see Cookies section below for further details).
How will AWI use the information it collects about me?
AWI will collect, hold and use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- to provide services, events, activities, information and content to deal with your requests and enquiries;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about our services, activities and events where you have requested to receive this (if you no longer want us to use your information in this way please use the unsubscribe facility in the message or let us know by contacting us at the address in the Who are we? section above);
- to analyse and improve the services (and content) we offer and the events and activities we undertake;
- to personalise the way that our online content is presented to you and to allow you to participate in interactive features of our Channels, when you choose to do so;
- For service administration purposes e.g. to provide you with a password or to notify you that a particular service, event or activity is taking place;
- to contact you about a submission, article or correspondence that you have made or sent;
- to carry out our obligations arising from contracts entered into between you and us; and
- any other purposes notified to you at the time your personal information is collected.
We use information obtained from cookies so that we can optimize the activities, products and services which we provide to you. See the Cookies section below for more details.
Your personal information we collect is held in secure electronic databases. Some personal information is also held in paper files.
Will AWI disclose my personal information with anyone else?
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may however use and disclose your information when legally required to do so or for purposes relating to law enforcement and investigations, protecting our lawful interests and acquisition or sale of our business.
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- our related corporate bodies for the purposes described above;
- third party companies which AWI may have commercial or non-commercial relationships with for the purpose of promoting wool events and products;
- our agents or service providers who assist us with technical infrastructure solutions, customer contact processes and archival, auditing, accounting, legal, business consulting, banking, payment, delivery, data processing, marketing, advertising and website or technology services; and
- any other entities identified at the time of collecting your personal information.
Some of these parties are located in countries other than Australia, including the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Holland, France, Spain, Turkey, USA, India, China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, Vietnam, Korea, Japan and Singapore. Where your personal information is provided to entities outside Australia, you acknowledge that by agreeing to the disclosure of your personal information to these overseas entities, we will no longer be required to take reasonable steps to ensure the overseas recipient's compliance with the Australian privacy law in relation to your personal information and we will not be liable to you for any breach of the Australian privacy law by these overseas recipients. On this basis, you consent to disclosure of your personal information to these overseas recipients.
Links to third party websites
Accessing and correcting your personal information or stopping communications
If you would like to:
- make a request to access or correct any personal information we hold about you; or
stop receiving communications from us,
- then please feel free to contact us as set out in the Who are we? section above. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
AWI and its infrastructure providers have taken reasonable steps regarding physical and technical access intrusion security measures to protect the personal information we hold against loss, misuse, interference and from unauthorised access, alteration or disclosure. However, if you are considering sending us any personal information through any of our Channels, please be aware that the information may be insecure in transit, particularly where no encryption is used (e.g. email, standard HTTP). You must also take care to protect your usernames and passwords and notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any security breaches.
We may collect from you technical data and other related information about your device, systems, application software, and peripherals. Such information could be your internet protocol address, your operating system and platform details, browser type and version, referrer website as well as information about your preferences, viewed/searched for products and on-site activity. Some of this information may be capable of personally identifying you.
This information will often be collected by using cookies. A cookie is a piece of data that is stored on your digital device so that when you browse the internet your digital device can be recognised at a later time.
AWI uses the technical information from cookies to store visitors preferences, record session information, record user-specific information such as what pages users access or visit, alert visitors to new areas that we think might be of interest to them when they return to our site, record past activity at a site in order to provide better service when visitors return to our site, for example customize web page content based on visitors' browser type or other information that the visitor sends.
You can configure your web browser to reject cookies but you may find some parts of our Channels then have limited functionality.
How to make a complaint
We will refer your complaint to our Privacy Officer who will investigate your complaint and determine the steps that we will undertake to resolve it. We will contact you if we require any additional information from you and will notify you in writing of the outcome of the investigation. If you are not satisfied with our determination, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or contact to the Australian Privacy Commissioner via the contact details set out below.
For information about privacy generally, or if your concerns are not resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or via www.oaic.gov.au.